We are one of the leading legal consultancy firms, engaged in offering personalized legal consultancy services for a host of issues regarding personal, corporate, state and civil matters.

Email :

L&do Freehold Conversion

  1. What are the properties under Land and Development Office’s (L&DO) control that are eligible for freehold conversion?
    1. All the residential plots allotted or leased by the Rehabilitation department or L&DO for residential purpose or who have obtained the completion certificate or D-Form from local bodies.
    2. All type ‘C’ tenements allotted for lease by the Department of Rehabilitation or L&DO.
    3. All type ‘A’ tenements allotted by the Department of Rehabilitation or L&DO for lease.
    4. All types of industrial plots allotted by the Department of Rehabilitation or L&DO on leasehold basis, or upon building which has received constructed and completion certificate or D-Form from local governmental authority.
    5. All types of commercial and mixed land use properties whose ownership rights have been registered and which have been allotted by the Department of Rehabilitation, or L&DO, or the Directorate of Estate.
  2. Is conversion compulsory or optional?
    • The conversion of a leasehold property to freehold property is completely optional.
  3. Who can apply for the conversion?
    • Any person whose name has been registered as lessee on the records of L&DO can apply for the conversion of property. If a property has more than one lessee, then signature of all of them is required on the application for conversion. A lessee(s) can also furnish Power of Attorney for signing the application on his/her behalf.
    • If the lessee has given the General Power of Attorney (GPA) to another person for the execution of Sale Deed, then the GPA holder can also apply for the conversion. An application for conversion also requires in whose name the conversion should be granted.  If there are a series of GPAs then the attested copies of all those GPAs is required to be furnished for establishing the link with the lessee on the record.         
  4. Where to submit the application?
    • The filled in application along with necessary enclosures wherever applicable and along with the payment can be submitted in any of the following Branches of the tate Bank of India: - 1. Connaught Place Branch. 2. Rail Bhawan Branch 3. Kasturba Gandhi Marg Branch 4. Paharganj Branch 5. Jangpura Branch 6. Nehru Place Branch 7. Lajpat Nagar Ring Road Branch 8. Malviya Nagar Branch 9. R.K. Puram Branch 10. Lodhi Road Branch (I.O.C.) 11. Karol Bagh Branch (Padam Singh Road) 12. New Rajinder Nagar Branch 13. Moti Nagar Branch 14. South Patel Nagar Branch 15. Tilak Nagar Branch 16. Vijay Nagar Branch 17. Azadpur Branch 18. Krishna Nagar Branch.
  5. Who is to sign the Conveyance Deed?
    • If the applicant is the lessee, then the applicant has to sign the conveyance deed. If the applicant is a GPA holder, the person on whose name the conversion is granted will have to sign the conveyance deed. However they can also give Power of Attorney to any other individual to sign the conveyance deed, but the Power of Attorney given for this purpose must be a registered one.
  6. Whether stamp duty is payable for the registration of conveyance deed?
    Yes, stamp duty is payable on the conversion amount if the conversion is from a registered   lease to freehold.
    • If the lease deed was not registered, the stamp duty is payable on the amount earlier paid for getting the leasehold rights plus the amount now paid for conversion.
    • If the conveyance deed is not registered within the stipulated period, then the lessee has to apply for revalidation of the conveyance deed along with payment of the revalidation charges, which shall be 25% of the stamp duty payable for registration of the conveyance deed.
  7. What happens to the original lease deed?
    • The original lease deed should be produced at the time of the execution of the conveyance deed. An endorsement to the effect that the property has been converted in to freehold is made on the same and returned along with the conveyance deed.
  8. What documents are required to be enclosed with the application?
    • The following documents should be enclosed in all cases:
      • Challan (original).
      • Passport size photograph (original) of the lessee/purchaser.
      • Completion certificate / 'D' form (Attested Copy).
      • Indemnity Bond as per Annexure-F.
      • Undertaking (Proforma enclosed as Annexure-G).
    • The following additional documents should be enclosed if the applicant is a GPA Holder:
      • Registered General Power of Attorney (Notarized Copy).
      • Evidence of the Possession (Attested Copy).
      • Evidence of the Transaction (Attested Copy).
      • Affidavit to the effect that the lessee is alive and has not revoked the GPA (Annexure-H). In cases where there is a series of GPA, the affidavit should be in respect of all such GPAs.
      • The following documents should be enclosed if the property is mortgaged: No Objection Certificate from the Mortgagee (Attested Copy).