Registration of Birth & Death
A birth certificate/death certificate is an original document which certifies the birth/death of a particular person. All the birth and death are required to be registered within the next 21 days at the local governing bodies of the place of its occurrence in the prescribed reporting form. The persons required for registration of Birth/Death are:-
- When the Birth/Death has taken place in a house:-
- The head of the house, or the nearest relative of the head of the house, or oldest person in the family can register the birth/death.
- Reporting individual when the Birth/Death was taken place outside the house:-
- If the birth/death took place in a healthcare institution such as hospital, maternity home or others, then the Medical Officer Incharge or any officer authorized by him.
- If the birth/death took place in a hospital, dharamshala, boarding house etc., then the person Incharge.
- If the birth/death took place in a jail, then Jail Incharge.
- If the birth/death took place in a moving vehicle, then person Incharge of the vehicle.
- If the birth/death took place in a deserted/public place, then Headman of the village/Incharge of the local police station.
Procedure for Getting a Birth & Death Certificate:-
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and Delhi Cantonment Board are the designated local bodies for issuing the birth/death certificate that has been registered. A single copy of birth/death certificate is provided immediately to the applicant after the completion of registration. The additional copies of the birth and death certificate will be provided at Rs. 5 per copies and payment of Rs. 2 for the search of the single entry in current year, and then Rs 2 for every additional year. Both birth and death certificate are issued from the registration centres/zonal offices of the local governmental bodies.
Overall, there are 188 MCD Centres, 137 Urban and 51 rural centre falling under the Government of the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi, where the applicants can approach for registering birth and death.
Deputy Health Officer of each Municipal Zone is designated as the Registrar of Births and Deaths. The Paramedical staff of Health Centres/Sub Centres’ vaccination centers have been designated as Sub Registrar.
- Domiciliary Cases
- For registering the births and deaths that have at home in an urban area, one will have to visit the vaccination centres located in that particular area.
- Registration of Birth and Death occurring at home in rural area can be done by the vaccinators or Para medical staff. These registration centres are situated in the healthcare facilities in rural areas such as Health Centres, Dispensaries, and Mother & Child Welfare Sub Centres.
- Other Cases
- The Births or Deaths occurring in Hospitals or Nursing Homes and other cases can be registered at the Zonal Office of MCD of their respective areas.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) has alloted special arrangements for the registration of deaths at the following cremation grounds :-
Nigam Bodh Ghat, Wazirpur, Pashchim Puri, Sant Nagar, Pachkuian Road, Electric Crematorium Punjabi Bagh, Electric Crematorium, Nigam Bodh Ghat, Subhash Nagar, Green Park, Children Ghat, Punjabi Bagh.
N.D.M.C. (9 Centres)
The Vaccination Centre located in the NDMC area registers birth and death. The vaccinator of these vaccination centres has been designated as the Sub Registrar. The International Inoculation Centre’s Medical Officer Incharge has been designated as the Birth/Death Registrar for the entire NDMC area.
Case of Moving Vehicle: The registration of birth/death occurred in a moving vehicle will be performed at the registration center of the area of first place of halt of the vehicle.
Documents required are:
- An application on a plain paper.
- A proof specifying the birth/death of the person for whom the certificate is required.
- An affidavit comprises of the date, place, and time of the birth/death of the concerned person.
- A photocopy of the Ration Card of the concerned person.
- School Leaving Certificate comprises of date of birth.
- All documents are required to be attested by a Gazetted Officer.